Ear Plastic Surgery (Otoplasty) Beverly Hills
Ear surgery, also known as otoplasty, can improve the shape, position or proportion of the ear. A defect in the ear structure that is present at birth or that becomes apparent with development can be corrected by otoplasty. This procedure can also treat misshapen ears caused by injury.
Otoplasty creates a more natural shape while bringing balance and proportion to the ears and face. Correction of even minor deformities can have profound beneﬁts to appearance and self-esteem. If protruding or disﬁgured ears bother you or your child, you may consider plastic surgery.
What can ear surgery treat?
- Overly large ears – a condition called macrotia
- Protruding ears occurring on one or both sides in varying degrees – not associated with hearing loss
- Adult dissatisfaction with previous ear surgery
Who is a good candidate for ear surgery?
Children who are good candidates for ear surgery are:
- Healthy, without a life-threatening illness or untreated chronic ear infections
- Generally 5 years old, or when a child’s ear cartilage is stable enough for correction
- Cooperative and follow instructions well
- Able to communicate their feelings and do not voice objections when surgery is discussed