Breast Implant Replacement
Breast implant exchange plastic surgery involves replacement of breast implants. This revision surgery is conducted after a preliminary examination by the surgeon to determine the cause of complications. They will advise breast implant replacement only when it is the best course of action.
Board certified plastic surgeon Dr. David Kim provides breast implant exchange or breast implant replacement surgery to patients in Beverly Hills, Los Angeles, CA, and surrounding communities.
Advantages of Breast Implant Replacement Procedure
- Restores breasts to a desired shape and size
- Positions the implants to a proper location in harmony with the natural breasts
- Lifts your breasts and removes loose skin
- Replaces deflated or old implants with new advanced ones
Suitable Candidacy for Breast Implant Replacement
You may be a suitable candidate for a breast implant replacement cosmetic surgery if any of the following scenarios apply to you:
- You want to improve your breast appearance
- You want to change the breast size
- Existing breast implants have shifted and are not properly positioned anymore
- Your breasts appear asymmetrical or uneven
- Your implants are ruptured or leaking
- Your implants are over 15 years old
Breast Implant Replacement Procedure
These are a few steps that are common to all breast implant replacement plastic surgery:
- An incision will be made, usually where the original incision was made to reduce scarring.
- The surgeon will remove old implants completely. They may also remove a part of or complete scar capsule from the previous implants. This scar capsule will be sent for further testing to a lab.
- The surgeon will create a suitable space or pocket after removing the old implants and capsule. This is where the new implants will be inserted. This may be a completely new layer or in the same layer as previous breast implants. This will be discussed in the pre-operative consultation.
- The new implants will be carefully inserted and positioned in the new spaces made.
- The surgeon will suture the incisions carefully.
Getting a Different Breast Implant Size
Many patients want a different sized implant after their primary breast augmentation procedure. This can either be larger or smaller. Generally, women switch implants after a few years of getting the first surgery performed. Natural breast size and volume may change because of pregnancy, weight fluctuations, breastfeeding, childbirth, and aging or gravity.
The same incision, whether in the armpit, below the nipple, or in the breast crease, can be used for moderate changes (larger or smaller) in implant size. Breast revision surgery is usually less painful and easier with a faster recovery. The surgeon may need to modify the breast capsule or pocket for accommodating size changes when they are significant. This is regardless of whether they are larger or smaller implants. This may require a slightly longer recovery period.
You may require breast lift as an additional procedure if you are changing to a smaller implant. However, this is necessary only in certain cases. Your surgeon will understand your individual needs before recommending the best course of action.
Cosmetic surgeon Dr. David Kim receives patients from Beverly Hills, Los Angeles, CA, and nearby areas for breast implant exchange or breast implant replacement surgery.
Schedule a Consultation with Board Certified Beverly Hills California Plastic Surgeon Dr. Kim
Also visit beverlyhillsplasticsurgery.com
Serving Beverly Hills, Los Angeles, West Hollywood, Orange County, Southern California and surrounding areas.